Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Water

Abstract reflections in Willow Springs Reservoir Arizona

Since many of my trips now revolve around my favorite angler, I’ve had a minute to consider the photographic aspects of water.


Cloud Reflections in Willow Springs Reservoir Arizona

Reflections are a photographer’s friend, especially on a glorious afternoon float.  This was the second launch of Marco’s new Flycraft boat, at Willow Springs Reservoir in Mogollon Rim Country here in Arizona.  More about the boat later, but because we’re just getting used to set-up, and we were in harsh afternoon light, I didn’t think I needed to pack photo gear.  Then after we got on the water the clouds came in.  Thank goodness for my phone camera, which does a pretty darn good job in these conditions.


Box Canyon, Christopher Creek Arizona

Images of waterfalls and cascades evoke the full experience, including the sounds and smells of hanging out by the creek.  Box Canyon on Christopher Creek is just 15 minutes down the road from Willow Creek.  It’s tough to get to, though, since that section of Highway 260 was revised and parking is now illegal at the trailhead. 

Box Canyon, Christopher Creek Arizona

Marco is working with Trout Unlimited on some habitat restoration along Christopher Creek in the area of the R-C Scout Ranch.  Because of this, we had the joy of camping Creekside at the Ranch.  From there it’s an easy walk to the top of Box Canyon.  I’m hoping to be back, perhaps to work this section of the creek in snow.

Great Blue Heron in flight, Willow Creek Reservoir Arizona

Waterbirds are a lovely bonus of lakes.  I test-drove my new Canon RF 100-500 L lens during our second day on the lake, and enjoyed shooting the big birds: Osprey, Heron, and Turkey Vultures.  I saw a Bald Eagle but was too slow on the draw to get the shot.  I’m looking forward to another chance.  To paraphrase P.T. Barnum, always leave them wanting more bird shots.

Ancient Sycamore Tree, R-C Scout Ranch Arizona

Riparian habitats are dazzlingly green and have big, glorious trees. That’s a gift to those of us accustomed to the drier parts of Arizona.  I fell in love with this huge Sycamore which was creekside.

Chevelon Creek Arizona

Chevelon Creek, below the reservoir, is surrounded in green.

Lakes also provide easy access to what would otherwise be rough country, though easy might be an overstatement.  The two of us required 50 minutes to assemble and rig the boat together. I missed my 10-minute kayak set-up, but the Flycraft is comfortable for two humans and Gypsy, who’s making progress on gaining her sea legs. 

The boat rigged for a short drive

Ultimately, we decided to load the boat on the pickup hillbilly-style to drive the mile back to our camp spot rather than take it apart and re-assemble it at o-dark-thirty the next morning.  Neither of us is excited about a trailer, but we have some better ideas about transport.

Rowing practice, Watson Lake Arizona

Though the rig has an electric motor, I enjoyed learning to row.  At least I enjoyed it before the wind came up.

My favorite Angler, Willow Creek Reservoir Arizona

Then, of course, there are fish in the water.  I hear that some people believe that they are the whole point.


Sunflowers backlighted at dawn, Peeples Valley Arizona

Before I sign off, I can’t resist sharing some monsoon sunflower glory from up here in Yarnell and Peeples Valley.

There’s more on the website, in the Summer 2024 Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment