Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Departures 2


Arizona State Fair

It’s been another month of non-landscape miscellaneous shooting.  I suppose I’d like to put a cap on that by sharing some images and a few thoughts. It’s about time to move on to the next project.

Why Departures 2?  Apparently, I wrote a similar blog last fall.  Pardon me repeating myself.


Osprey, Willow Springs Lake

Earlier in September, you’ll recall, I was testing a new wildlife lens on birds in flight on the Mogollon Rim.  It’s a humbling thing to learn, but fun when I get lucky with a good shot and also good to work on something challenging.

Full Military Honors, Yarnell

Our small town memorialized a local legend recently.  He was a decorated army helicopter pilot and so his widow arranged full military honors.  The ceremony was beautiful and shooting it for the family was a privilege.

"Circle of Honor," Yarnell AZ

I broke out the drone for part of the service as well.

Just a bunch of international clowns, AZ State Fair

Through Each Other’s Eyes, a nonprofit I work with, recently sponsored two photographers from Adelaide Australia to travel to Arizona.  I had several opportunities to spend time with them.  The best, or at least the quirkiest, was an evening at the AZ State Fair.  It says something about Brad and Grant that they chose this over a traditional farewell party. 

A Classic, the carousel in B & W, AZ State Fair

I’d not been to the Fair in 25 years, but it was delightful.  My only complaint was that I couldn’t find chocolate covered bacon.  Really. I did enjoy trying to explain what a twinkie was. Apparently they don’t have them in OZ.

Long Exposure, AZ State Fair

It was great fun to shoot long exposures as the light faded in the evening.

Less Glamorous wildlife, squirrels at Watson Lake

It seems like every fall I squeeze in a late-season kayaking morning at nearby Watson Lake.  This time I took a few shots of wildlife and enjoyed the solitude.


More Glamorous Wildlife; Pronghorn at Drake Grasslands, Arizona

I’ve been working a bit with a new wildlife group, Central Arizona Wildlife Alliance (CAWA).  Out on a pronghorn sighting expedition north of Prescott, I learned a whole lot about these delightful animals and took a few mediocre photos from far away.  It was a thrill despite the challenges.

 

What’s next?  The annual fall color loop, this year through northern Arizona and southern Utah.  I’m anticipating a great time.  Stay tuned for photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment