Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Love in the Time of Covid 3; Life's Too Short


 
Spring in the Harquahala Moutains
Back before the earth cooled, for my 30th birthday, my sister took me to Sedona. We hiked and ate good food, and we started a little spontaneous game called “life’s too short.”  We had lost our Dad not too long before, and we were still (we still haven’t stopped, really) riding that wave of vulnerability. Life was too short, we said, for bad wine, missed opportunities, and ugly shoes. I confess there’s a family tendency (thanks, Dad) to pick some little thing like this and perseverate, so we went on all weekend.

Our current situation has made me, like many of you, a bit philosophical. Life is too short for me to waste this time, especially because I have two critically ill close friends. All of this gives me a bit of internal encouragement to keep up with volunteer commitments, start a few personal projects, and get out and shoot (safely of course). I’m keeping the creative fire going, close to home. Because I love sunrises I get out predawn, and oddly I never see anyone else in the wild lands around here at that hour.  My rule about camping is to choose a nearby place so obscure that I am quite sure to see no one, at least on weekdays. These little forays are good for my mental and physical health.
 
Full moon set from Yarnell Hill Overlook
I’ve been shooting from the lookout on Yarnell Hill, where I planned to shoot the setting full moon, but was surprised by the lovely evening primrose blooms.


Early morning light from the Granite Mountain Hotshot Trail

Nearby is the Granite Mountain Hotshot Memorial Park, a lovely, moving, and moderately challenging walk.
 
Saguaro and Ocotillo in the Harquahala Mountains
I’ve also discovered some under-visited desert spots in the Harquahala Mountains.  I’ve been celebrating the spring bloom there.
 
With Gypsy; camper dinner
My husband and I got take-out at a favorite local spot (yum; fish tacos) and had parking lot family dinner in the truck camper. Then there is my friend and teacher Colleen Miniuk, who spearheaded this little video gem (that’s me in the middle of the Brady Bunch grid on Zoom) as a silly diversion in these cloistered times.  Most likely you saw it here first.

Life is, in fact, too short to waste. I hope you’re all hanging in there in your own ways.

There’s more on the website, in the Spring 2020 Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment