Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Autumnal Sunshine



 
Workman Creek
“I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. So I have spent almost all the daylight hours in the open air.” ~Nathaniel Hawthorne


Wow.  What a fall!  First the aspens at peak color onthe Kaibab Plateau, then Maine and New York, and now the eclectic leaf litter of the Sierra Ancha Mountains in Arizona.

Words are difficult, and I fear that I don’t have the literary skill to bring the experience to you without crossing into the ridiculous.
“There is a perennial temptation to plunge into a purple sea of adjectives about October.” ~Hal Borland
I do, however, have images.

This place has surprised me before, and I have a soft spot for it because my first image published in an Arizona Highways calendar was taken here.  Add to that the dearth of people, perennial stream, and astonishing carpet of leaves decorating the remarkable geology, and it’s no wonder that I keep coming back.

Reynolds Creek
The Sierra Anchas are intriguing in other seasons but just blow me away in the fall.  Workman Creek and Reynolds Creek are my favorites so far, though I can’t help but think that there are undiscovered treasures in other canyons.

More images from this trip are toward the end of the Autumn 2013 Gallery on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment