Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Alone


 

Years ago, when I first met the Master Landscape Photographer Jack Dykinga, he said something which stayed with me. Since then I’ve had an opportunity to spend some time with and learn from Jack, and as it turns out, he doesn’t remember saying it. Go figure.

Whether he said it or not, I find it interesting; ‘Landscape photography is essentially a solitary pursuit.’

I agree, much as I enjoy my photography outings which are social. Company is fun and even educational, but working alone is more productive and creative for me.  There’s also the freedom from worrying about other people in my shot during busy workshops and from accommodating the eating and sleeping schedules of others.

As a side note to the many wonderful photo friends I’ve gone out shooting with; I have no regrets, I love you, and I’ll just say this is a matter of balance.


So, I set out last week to photograph the vibrant yellow aspens in the Kaibab National Forest, near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, in the camper.  Alone.  I put on 200 miles after I got to the National Forest, scouting and chasing light on the forest roads.

After a few days of essentially talking to no one, I surfaced for gas, a hot breakfast and a little conversation.  I found connectivity (in the GCNP Campground Store) to tell my husband I was still alive. Then I went back to the forest.

My mind quieted as I walked among the indescribably magical yellow and orange aspens.  I listened to the coyotes yipping as they hunted together at dusk.  I startled a group of mule deer (who in turn startled me) when I opened the camper door before dawn.

Mount Hayden and the View from Point Imperial
 I even made one image of the Grand Canyon.  What the heck; as long as I was there…

More images from this trip are in the Autumn 2013 gallery on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment