Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Summer Day


Watkins Glen NY

I’ve been reflecting recently on how vital time in nature is to me.  Imperative, really.  I’m not sure everyone feels this way, but for me it’s not negotiable. Too much sitting still indoors and I go progressively nuts.

Kirkland, AZ
Around the same time, in one of those magical instances of synchronicity, I watched the new documentary on the poet Mary Oliver.  It's called Saved by the Beauty of the World. Synchronicity indeed.  She wrote on this topic a lot, and here’s my favorite:

The Summer Day ~ Mary Oliver

Who made the world? 
Who made the swan, and the black bear? 
Who made the grasshopper? 
This grasshopper, I mean— 
the one who has flung herself out of the grass, 
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand, 
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down— 
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes. 
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face. 
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away. 
I don’t know exactly what a prayer is. 
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down 
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass, 
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields, 
which is what I have been doing all day. 
Tell me, what else should I have done? 
Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon? 
Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life?

Kaibab National Forest, AZ

There are a number of scientific studies which reveal  many aspects of the healing power of nature, including

o   Boosted immune function

o   Improved blood pressure, heart rate, and cholesterol

o   Respiratory benefits of cleaner air

o   Stress reduction and mood improvement

o   Improvement in attention and focus

o   Improved sleep from strengthened circadian rhythms

o   Indirect benefits from more physical activity

So, yes, we all benefit and feel better.

Mojave National Preserve, CA

The Japanese introduced the related concept of Shinrin Yoku, loosely translated a Forest Bathing. It encourages walking in nature while engaging all the senses, though I suspect that forest bathers rarely use the sense of taste. You never know. There’s an added emphasis on mindfulness as well.

Coconino National Forest, AZ

I often do this on what I call Photo walks with a camera, which for me at least creates a more mindful state. Wherever I’ve camped for the night, I get connected this way.

Gold Butte National Monument, NV

I hope I’ve inspired you to get out there, and if not perhaps the images have some benefit. They're favorites, pulled from the archives

No comments:

Post a Comment