Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Saturday, January 7, 2023

What’s Next?

 


I lost a good friend last month.  I want to share one of many memories of George.

He and I both suffered from a bit of impatience, especially in meetings when the discussion was getting repetitive.  You could see it developing; first he’d fiddle with the papers in front of him, then he’d start to shift in his seat, and before you knew it, he’d say (rather forcefully), “Okay, what’s next?”

I’ve gratefully adopted this technique myself.  I’ve been thanked several times, but I’m sure some folks are not so happy about it.

My point (relevant to photography) is that there’s something to be said for being open to the next thing, always.  It’s easy to get stuck in a rut, and I’m certainly not immune to that.

 

New spot last autumn; Caddo Lake Texas

Sometimes staying fresh is as simple as looking for new places to photograph or a new way of looking at a familiar place.

 

ICM sunrise on the California Coast

Then too, there are interesting techniques to try out, like ICM (Intentional Camera Movement), composites and abstracts, and (not new but endlessly providing fresh perspectives) macro photography.

 

I’ve just begun playing with the Pep Ventosa technique, a sort of multiple exposure method often done in the round.  I’m still learning, but here’s an early effort from the Joshua Tree Forest in Mojave National Preserve.

Sunrise, McDowell Sonoran Preserve AZ

When I'm shooting something for Arizona Highways Magazine, like this image on a shoot for a Hike of the Month, I am often in a new spot and have a chance to stretch my creative muscles.


"On-site" sunset in the Mojave last month

My husband doesn’t much like camping layovers (more than one night in a single location), so he keeps me moving.  We visit lots of new places.  Exploration itself is fun, but there’s also the challenge of making the most of a new place.  My friend and mentor Jerry Dodrill borrows the phrase “on-siting” from rock climbing which means giving the challenge a go without any prior knowledge.  I do my best, but also reserve the right to return.

Happy new year, and best of luck staying out of your rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment