Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Love in the time of COVID 5; Automatic Mindfulness


 
Moonset over Watson Lake
The news has been stressing me out.  Maybe you feel the same way.  In any case, I’ve been heading to Prescott early on grocery days and putting my kayak in at Watson Lake.  Paddling around (and, I admit, sometimes passively drifting) this morning, I realized that this was more than just a diversion.  It’s peace. 
 
Messing about in my boat, Watson Lake
I’ll bet you recognize this line from Wind in the Willows, “There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”


Zen, Watson Lake

There’s a cushion between me and all that other stuff when I’m out there, and automatic mindfulness noticing the call of the canyon wren, the lecherous dragonflies, and the glowing backlight in the spring-green cottonwoods.  I count this place as one of my blessings.

Here are two more…
Sunrise on the edge of Marble Canyon
A couple of weeks ago my camera and I bugged out to Marble Canyon for a couple of nights.  I visited the Ancient Puebloan pottery sherd that I stumbled on last year, had some hammock time, explored the canyon rim, and experimented a bit photographically.   
 
My new buddy
When it was time to go, a horse blocked my way.  I expect she was looking for a treat, but I like to imagine she was telling me that I was welcome in this place.
 
Yarnell Buzzard
Last week I’d done some planning to photograph the full moon rising beside Antelope Peak, a local landmark.  I was disappointed with the cloud cover blocking the moon and plopped down on my back to photograph the Turkey Vultures (we’re country folk around here and tend to call them buzzards) fighting for the best roosts on the microwave tower.  I’ll admit to a bit of disappointment.  Then the color showed up and I remembered, for the zillionth time, that it’s important to be flexible.
 
Soft Pastel Moonrise, Yarnell
I’ve got some stuff planned; I’ve collected some stuff from an old mining trash heap (midden if you’re archeologically inclined); there’s another tabletop session in my future.  Also, my hard-working husband has consented to join Gypsy and me camping up north, and I imagine my camera will go there as well.

Until then, there are some more images in the Spring 2020 Gallery on the website.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment