Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Hashknife!


I almost didn’t go.  The wind across interstate 40 in northern Arizona was gusting over 60 MPH.  My curiosity got the better of me, though, so I tackled the drive.  The route I choose only included 30 miles of the interstate.  Even so, there was a semi on its side. 



No harm, no foul.  The Subaru and I made it to Holbrook intact.



My friend Greg McKelvey is friendly with Mark Reynolds, the captain of the Hashknife Pony Express.  These guys are riding the 62nd annual commemorative run, which takes its honorific from an iconic Arizona cattle brand, now owned by the Babbitt Family.  They ride Holbrook to Payson, then Payson to Fountain Hills, and finally to Scottsdale, in one-mile increments. Greg has created a win-win situation with Mark, so that a small group of photographers had the opportunity to do an exclusive early morning shoot with two of the riders.  In return, we agreed to share our best work with them for publicity and personal use.


Meet Shawn Maestas (on the white mare) and Wade Carlisle (riding the chestnut).



The riders carry actual U.S. Mail, and are sworn in as Postal Workers.



The experience was extraordinary.  Though I agree with a friend who asked, “so, why do they do it in February?”  It was good and cold at sunrise.



There were demonstrations of the mail bag hand-off, after which (while still galloping) both riders yell “Hashknife!”  We photographed horse and rider speeding along and some quiet moments as well.



We were working for a couple of hours, but it was over before I knew it.  I was past Winona on the way home before my feet thawed, though.



By the way, a hashknife is an old cowboy chuckwagon tool which looks something like a mezzaluna.



There’s more in the Winter 2019-2020 Gallery on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment