Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished





OK, I’ll admit I’m being a bit over-dramatic.
Through Each Other’s Eyes, a nonprofit I’ve been involved with for a couple of years, is celebrating its 30th anniversary.   Our mission is to encourage people around the world to understand and appreciate diverse cultures through photography.  The name comes from a Henry David Thoreau quote, “Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other’s eyes for an instant?”
I loved the idea of commemorating the milestone with an exhibit of the gorgeous work of TEOE photographers, past and present.  This enthusiasm propelled me as I secured the venue, the West Valley Art Museum.  Before I knew it, I had volunteered to organize the thing.

The lovely West Valley Art Museum
In summary, October 29- December 13 we are showing 66 photo prints from 12 countries.  We’re also very excited that the Museum has an extensive collection of international costumes which, along with some TEOE members’ artifacts from abroad, will be on display as well.

Matted images are for sale.

Grape Hrvest, Grenoble, France ©Kerrick James
Two events, both open to the public, are worth mentioning.  First, our reception and celebration will be held November 8 4:00-6:00 PM at the Museum, 8401 W Monroe, Peoria. There will be refreshments served (free food, friends).  The other event is a public lecture on “The Natural World” by TEOE member, travel and adventure photographer Kerrick James.  This talk will be held at the West Valley Art Museum November 15 at 4:00 PM.

In reality (despite my grumpy title) it’s been an honor to work on this project, and I’ve had lots of enthusiastic help from my TEOE friends.  
 
"Chicken" bus, Antigua Guatemala (this one's mine)

And an honor to have my images included as well.

I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment