Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Friday, February 16, 2018

The Second 100 Nights



Lurch's "Birthday" Party with Jeff Maltzman, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
Because I depend so much upon my Toyota Tundra-Four Wheel Camper combination, I’ve anthropomorphized him a bit.  Yes, him.  His name is Lurch.


We’ve been running around together since Fall of 2013 and last weekend marked our 200th night camping.  I do feel as if I should apologize to him that the party was in a developed campground, but that was not my first choice.  Like the milestone of the 100th night just over two years ago, I’m reflecting on our travels.


Included in those most recent 100 nights are:

50 outside established campgrounds (always my preference, but sometimes there are practical issues)

37 places that were new for me

24 alone and 39 with my husband, and therefore 37 with others

13 in someone’s driveway



A few superlatives:


Mesquite Dunes, near Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley

The place we haunted the most was Stovepipe Wells Campground in Death Valley.  Last month’s photography workshop, when I planted myself there for 5 nights, skewed the count a bit.
Lee Flat, winter storm
The place that we were most wondrously alone was Lee Flat (also in Death Valley) during a snowstorm in December 2016. Bad weather adds something to the mystique of Joshua Trees, I think.  With temps in the teens, I was grateful for the camper.
 
Lovely Amargosa Valley Nevada

The worst night was on the way home from Lake Tahoe, at a rest area at Amargosa Valley.  The wind nearly tore my roof off; I was using my body weight to hold it down from the inside.  I’m afraid that I have no pictures of this event.
Sunrise at Dog Point
My new favorite is Dog Point, in the Kaibab National Forest.  This little gem is quiet and lovely with places to explore.



Finally, a few favorite images from the last 100 camping trips

Coal Mine Canyon, Navajo/Hopi Reservations
Joshua Tree National Park
Lake Powell from Alstrom Point


Crazy Jug Point, Grand Canyon
Thanks so much for riding along. Another hundred are coming right up.  Meanwhile, more images from the anniversary trip to Organ Pipe Cactus NM are in the Winter 2017-18 Gallery on the website.

4 comments: