Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

5 Year Journal


 
Alpenglow on Mount Whitney, Alabama Hills CA Christmas Day 2015
In 2004, I helped organize a day retreat for a women's networking group I belonged to.

One of the speakers, whose talk I've quite forgotten, introduced a book called the "5-Year Journal."  The book allows three lines for each day, and groups entries for that day together for 5 years.  The fun of this, once you get going, is seeing what you were doing and thinking and striving for in years past. Doreen Clement, the Journal's author, also included periodic summary questions and questions about goals.

The idea was irresistible to me, so I bought one.

13 years later, I'm still doing this exercise, though I switched books to a version from Levenger when Ms Clement died and the original version was temporarily unavailable.  The Levenger version doesn't include the questions, but I don't find that I miss them overmuch.  I'm a natural planner, and even a bit of a brooder, so I do this sort of big-picture thinking without prompting.

The books have also become a way to follow photography & camping trips (I wrote a compulsive little post about my first 100 trips in Lurch the camper using the journal as a reference) and to keep track of shooting location names and other details like plant and animal species to help keyword my images.

I thought, for fun, I'd follow what I've been doing on a given day for the last 12 years. I chose Christmas Days, which I tend to spend rather unconventionally. This being a photo blog, I'll dig up photographic documentation when it exists.
Lee Flat, Death Valley National Park.
Christmas Day 2016
In 2016, Christmas day dawned cold and clear on the Joshua Trees of Lee Flat.  This was our fifth solstice trip to Death Valley National Park and other parts of the Mojave Desert.  My husband and the dog were cozy in the camper while I negotiated to 16 degrees F, waiting for the earth shadow and then the alpenglow on snow-covered mountains.  Then, I joined them for breakfast burritos and hot tea.

Rainbow over the dunes, Death Valley National Park
Christmas Day 2015
Christmas day was spectacular in 2015; complete with a rainbow over the dunes in Death Valley.

Christmas Day 2014
In 2014, we brought friends and got a little silly on the dunes.

Last Chance Mountains, Death Valley National Park,
Christmas Day 2013
December 25, 2013 we woke up at Eureka Dunes, in the north part of this huge park, with a backdrop of the Last Chance mountains.

Santa Barbara Courthouse, Christmas Day 2012
In 2012 we were in Santa Barbara with friends, visiting tourist destinations like the County Courthouse and Mission.  I'd rented a fisheye lens for the trip.

Christmas Day 2011

2011 was our first trip to Death Valley.  We stayed in the Furnace Creek Ranch.  It seems odd now to stay anywhere but the camper.  There are, unfortunately, lots of coyotes accustomed to humans.  This guy was attracted to the crackle of a granola bar wrapper.
 
Storm light, Santa Ynez Valley, CA.  Christmas Day 2010

2010 we took a drive from Santa Barbara to the Santa Ynez Valley in a storm.  I’d forgotten this image and am delighted to have had a chance to reprocess it as I prepared this post.
Sedona, Christmas Day 2009

2009 was the first year that a charity event we’d been helping to organize for six years didn’t happen.  We’d gotten used to spending all of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day on this fun event for homeless families and were at a bit of a loss about what to do.  This year we hiked in snowy Sedona.

Finally, going back to 2003, some pics of the holiday thing, which was called “Miracle in the Desert,” Complete with Santa.
 
Miracle in the Desert, Phoenix, Christmas Days 2003-2008

Fun, right?  Maybe only fun for those dancing on the edge of OCD.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment