Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Monday, July 3, 2017

Projects


Feather Reversal

It’s been, well, summer in the Arizona desert.  Escape from the heat is always part of the strategy (see last week’s North Rim post), but sometimes I need a photo project closer to home.

I’m retired from the practice of medicine for a month now, and have a little more time to rattle around with ideas and see what pops out.

Please don’t raise your expectations too much; these two projects are experiments, and certainly works in progress.

Stacked Business Cards; a "study"
I got new business cards (bear with me, this is a relevant thought) and the old ones, with images on one side, seemed like they should be good for something.  I started stacking them together like Tetris blocks and became intrigued.  Inspiration often does come from a chance observation.

Disney Concert Hall Reversal
Photoshop proved better at pursuing this inspiration than shuffling cards, as I could flip and otherwise manipulate the images.  Perhaps I was inspired by all the talk of abstracts at the Moab Photo symposium.  Regardless, the opportunity to create abstract images from literal, or move an already abstract image further out into the metaphoric weeds appealed. I call them "Reversals."

Caterpillar Equipment Yard Reversal
The second ongoing project grew from some paintings I saw in a gallery, perhaps a decade ago.  The idea must have been rattling around in my brain for some time, but it popped up again recently.  

Death Valley Colorblock
I’ve been calling it colorblocking, and of course I’ve moved pretty far afield from the original inspiration.

Acadia Raven Colorblock
These images are likely of no use at all.  The other danger here is in going public with examples of projects which are yet half- (quarter-?) baked.  Perhaps you’ll join me in laughing at them as I refine the process.  Perhaps you’re laughing now?  No matter.  I’m grateful that you took a look.

2 comments: