Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Other Solstice




Mount Hayden Sunrise
Perhaps if I was skilled at meditation; the kind that’s done sitting in silence, I wouldn’t feel the urge to travel.  I think traveling solo to wild areas is my meditation.  It’s a tool, I’d say.


The weather was unusually hot at the North Rim Grand Canyon last week, nudging into the upper 90s in several places as the high country awaited the arrival of monsoon.  Morning and evening were great for shooting, and one night photographing stars was quite comfortable.  But when to sleep?  Usually I make up for the short summer nights by napping, but that’s tough to do in those temps, even in the shade.


So, I lounged in my hammock and read three entire books, made notes for blog posts, and waxed silently philosophical.  Except for my incessant whining about the temperatures, the trip was just what I needed.


Lupines at the edge of Transept Canyon
I have two very hospitable friends who live in the park.  I was grateful to be the guest of each of them for a night, and to plug the camper in and shower.  My solar panels are not terribly efficient in that kind of heat, you see, and the fridge becomes electricity-ravenous.  I also appreciate the opportunity to balance alone time with some substantial conversation about transition, writing, and other things that are real.

Early and late light are beautiful behind their homes, on the edge of Transept Canyon.


One of the hammock books was Alan Cohen’s A Course in Miracles Made Easy.  He summarizes by saying that every decision is made, simply, between love and fear, and that only love is real.  Hence my theme for last week, the real.


Wind-Pruned Tree & Crescent Moon, Marble View Point
I watched the merciful little cooling storm blow through while at Marble View, one of the windiest places in the North Kaibab Forest.  I knew enough to tuck the camper into the trees that afternoon. Protected from the worst of the wind, I watched the spectacular after-light.


Raindrops on aspen leaf, Kaibab Forest
The next morning, I wandered through the forest marveling at the little rain-beads on downed aspen leaves.


Benchmark at sunrise, Cape Final
Sitting in the little single campsite at Cape Final (one backpacking permit per night), life was reduced to basic sensory input; the sound of raven wings on the wind, smells of the blooming Cliff Rose, and feel of the rough limestone under my back as I tried to get comfortable.  This, I think, is my brand of meditation.


More from this trip are in the Gran Canyon Gallery on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment