Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Friday, December 13, 2019

Photo-Inspiration


Last month, I had the pleasure of a day-long seminar with Michael DeYoung.  He’s primarily an adventure photographer, but has a background in weather, which was the topic of the day.  There were lots of great things about the seminar, but this post grew from an offhand comment. 

He suggested that we read anything we can get our hands on by Jay Maisel.  I picked up It’s Not About the F-stop, which is really a book of philosophy and advice for photographers. I highly recommend it.

What follows are my favorite quotes, each paired with a recent image I've made that came to mind when I read it.  A few of the quotes are from others who he has cited in the book but most are his.

There's some great inspiration in these words.

At first I thought I’d editorialize, but instead I’ve decided to let the images and quotes stand on their own. You might find a clue or two in the captions, though.


Ideal Beauty? Guatemala City
“The photograph is not the result of the clicking of the camera, but of all the years of your life up to the moment you take the picture.” ~ Jay Maisel


Dunes, Death Valley
“You really have to bring more to the party than your camera.” Jay Maisel

 
Vertebrae, Mojave Preserve California
 Photography is not about photography; it is about everything else.” ~ Sam Garcia


Chiller, Jerome Arizona
 “I tell my classes it’s not fair to shoot other people’s art. I feel that unless you’re adding some perception to the image that would inform and delight the artists themselves, you’re just stealing. I do make exceptions. They’re very simple. It’s OK to shoot art if it’s going to be destroyed.” ~ Jay Maisel


Hummer, White Mountains Arizona.  A learning experiance
 “Always learn more, you can never learn less.” Bucky Fuller


No quite what I wanted.  Guatemala City
 “All photographers know that you can never get everything you want. Damn. If you got it all, it would be too easy.” ~ Jay Maisel


At the Altai Eagle Festival, Mongolia
 “My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability to understand it.” ~ Sam Abell

 
The Future, Altai Eagle Festival, Mongolia
“Try, and admittedly, it’s difficult, but try to show in your images the past or the future“ ~ Jay Maisel 


Unembellished.  Death Valley California
 “Above all, don’t try to be clever. It’s good enough that you found it. Just don’t f*%k it up.” ~ Jay Maisel


Despicable storm weather, Oregon Coast
 “Try not to hate things. Try not to have things that you don’t want to shoot. Try to be open. “ ~ Jay Maisel


Found near the restrooms, Shore Acres State Park Oregon
 “No matter what specific thing you’re searching for, no matter what you’re hoping for, don’t put on visual or emotional blinders. They will severely limit your work.” ~Jay Maisel


Hotel lobby, Rio Dulce Guatemala
“Trust your judgment. Shoot what moves you. The people who try to stop you really don’t have any idea what exactly you’re shooting. If they did, they’d be doing the shooting.“ ~Jay Maisel


Blurry exuberance, Antigua Guatemala.
 “Never lose sight of the essence, the content, of your image in order to make the form perfect. “ ~Jay Maisel


Roasting pig at the beginning of the day, Sumpango Guatemala
 "Never go back.  Shoot it now. When you come back, it will always be different." ~Jay Maisel

I’ve had fun with this exercise, and I hope you have too.  Thanks for playing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment