Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fall on the Kaibab Plateau



Partially eclipsed moon, rising.  From Point Imperial

 I thought awhile about how to make this post educational or philosophical without success.  This is a straightforward trip report, shared because it was such fun I just have to.

Whenever I can, I head up to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the surrounding wilderness at peak fall color time, which was last week.  

This year, I arrived on the day of the supermoon-eclipse.  I’d carefully planned a location there and had high hopes.  Unfortunately, there were clouds and haze, so I have no images that will stop you in your tracks.  It was a remarkable experience, though, despite the frustration, and I forgot all about that while sharing a bottle of wine and a lovely home-cooked meal with a friend afterward.

Sunrise & Moonset at Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge
Typically I expect clear skies at this time of year, but for whatever reason (perhaps the “Bruce Lee” El Nino) there were clouds. Bad for the eclipse, but great for most everything else.  After sleeping off the wine in the camper (in my friend’s yard), I made for the Lodge on the rim without much hope, but had a delightful sunrise and a good time chatting with a number of first-time Grand Canyon visitors.  I know many people only make it there once in their lives, which reminds me of my great fortune being able to return so frequently.

North Timp Point Sunset
By then I was ready for the aspens in the forest and joyfully hit my favorite aspen groves, ending up camped alone on the rainbow rim enjoying an incredible sunset and sunrise.

Kanab Point View
Marco and Luna (the dog) met me the next day, and we drove together to Kanab Point, 49 miles on dirt along a route with essentially no signs.  We were very happy to have a GPS track to follow.  This may be my favorite remote viewpoint on the canyon, with its staggering bird’s-eye view up the narrow slot which is Kanab Creek, more incredible views, and solitude.

Aspen Grove on the Kaibab Plateau
The three of us spent the next night at another Rainbow Rim Point and I went back to the forest roads when they headed home, shooting yellow groves through the afternoon.  The wind was wicked that night (loudly raining pinecones on the camper roof), and in the morning the trees were largely stripped.  Grateful for my inadvertent good timing, I thought that was my signal to head home.

Thanks for coming along.  More images from this trip are in the Grand Canyon Gallery on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment