Rebecca Wilks

Rebecca Wilks; Photographer, Teacher, Yarnellian, Do-Gooder

Friday, August 15, 2014

Stock Call Shoots



Dawn on Kendrick Peak, Flagstaff AZ

So, many prominent magazines find photographs to publish by way of the stock call.  They send out lists of places they’d like photographed, and the photographers go there, do the work, and send them in.  There’s no guarantee, but I’ve had some success with the process.  

A reasonable person could balk at the possibility of doing a lot of work with no reward, but there’s another side to this practice; I have the opportunity to see new places.  There has been a lot of that in July and August.

Passing Storm, Route 99, AZ
First there was a driving trip with three other photographers to work on some scenic drives and a hike in Northern Arizona.  The whirlwind day started at 4:00AM and ended with a burger and a beer in Pine, AZ, at 9:00PM; Arguably the best beer I've ever had.  I think we went through Winslow 4 times.  It was a lovely day of camaraderie and obsessiveness.  This was the highlight for me; a beautiful distant monsoon storm viewed from a lonely stretch of road.

Hiker on the Weatherford Trail, Flagstaff AZ
The second trip was a three-hikes-three-days-at-altitude camping trip around Flagstaff.  Whew; I’m no longer in my twenties.  My husband and dog were good sports about this one.  They’re both pretty willing models; this is my husband on the Weatherford Trail.

The header image is a happy coincidence.  We found a new place to camp up a little hill near Hart Prairie and I was treated to this view of pink fog burning off near Kendrick Peak at sunrise just a half-mile walk from camp, while the rest of the family slept.

Sunrise Along Vulture Mine Road, AZ
Earlier this week I had a solitary early morning drive along Vulture Mine Road, South of Wickenburg.  I loved the sunrise through a clearing storm.

I have no way of knowing whether the images will sell, but I’m grateful for the ideas and motivation that the stock calls give.  I have some more trips planned before the deadlines hit, too.
 
I hope to see you on the road. 

More images are available in the Northern Arizona Gallery on the website.





No comments:

Post a Comment